Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

02 November 2006

Halloween wasn't good...

And I was actually kind of surprised. I went to a Halloween party for a friend of mine in one of my art classes, and it was okay until one of the other folx showed up. She was dressed as Dick Cheney, during the duck hunt fiasco, and while I thought the costume was a bit...silly, I didn't mind it too much...until I realized that she had a toy rifle with caps.

I realize that it was a toy, but still...watching that muzzle zip around the room, with *zero* regard for who was around and where it was pointed. Add in the fact that she had caps in the stupid things, and she was just pulling the trigger randomly. I started to get really edgy and started to get more and more nervous and jumpy and I actually ended up having to leave.

Great. How fun.

5 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try as we might, we civilians will never fully understand. And some of us do try.

I'll shut up now. Nothing good comes from making you more upset.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

CMAD- This was an 18 y.o. college student who's probably never been closer to a firearm than the toy aisle at Wal-Mart.

Others were much smarter than this girl, and I know quie a few civilians who would put my firearms training to absolute shame.

You're fine, and you haven't upset me.

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jen, it's Dee.

I grew up pplaying "Cops and Robbers" as well as "Cowboys and Indians." Cap guns were part of growing up.

But also part of growing up with cap guns was being taught never to point even a toy pistol directly at anyone. Too many kids maimed or killed by "toy" guns. Even in play, "Bang,bang, you're dead," we pointed a little to one side.

Also was tauight to treat all firearems as loaded, all the time, even if I unloaded myself.

The young woman in question may not have realized there were veterans at the party, but even if she did not, she piled rudeness on top of what I consider bad safety practices. It is a real shame her thoughtlessness had to ruin your good time.

--Dee

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know qui[t]e a few civilians who would put my firearms training to absolute shame.

Their skills may be better, but they're amateurs having fun with toys; you're a professional, for you, firearms are tools. And you've probably seen them used in ways that weren't funny at all.

I'm blissfully ignorant about this, but I'd guess that there's a huge difference.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Thanks cMAD. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home