Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

22 July 2006

And there was gaming...

Sort of. I managed to not get my character done, but I did sit in on the group and they're fun. I've decided on a basic concept, but I'm not sure how we'll flesh her out. (Yes, I'm playing a female character. I never play male characters. I'm not wired for it.)

So, here's the idea. I'm playing a Ussaran ship-owner, who is cursed and has a hunted past. I also took a hubris for the extra points. I had four to chose from, so I did the ultimate gamer decision making and rolled the D4. I ended up with reckless. Not sure how I'm going to work all this in, but there's a chance I could end up as a part of a secret society.

So far, I'm thinking of having her go to sea after her husband is killed in a "freak" hunting accident. After killing her husband's younger brother, who was next in line for the family fortune (sorry Jason!), she's now hunted for murder. Evidently, the cursed part comes in from my childhood, at least according to the book, so I'll have to figure that out, but after killing her brother-in-law, she ran to the sea to hide away and to get away from the men pursuing her.

Luckily, fortune favored her and she's managed to work hard enough to get her own ship, but she's gotten the feeling through her life that Matushka's not thrilled with her family and so...perhaps she's going to head out to Montaigne.

I get an extra five points for a well-written character history, so I think that I shall do it in the form of...can you guess? A journal. I know. It's shocking.

BTW, if you don't game, this entire entry can be summed up with "dork dork dork."

7 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Just A Decurion said...

Spiffy! I like it.

I also have an urge to ask to play the cabin 'boy'. . .

Seriously, sounds like an interesting character.

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After killing the younger brother, you'll have to worry about running from the mother, and/or the aunts, not the men! :)

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Tim Covington said...

What game system is this?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Well, we'll have to see about working something in for you if you manage to come home for a bit. This group is a lot of fun. Cory's weird as all get out, but he's okay. Becky is hysterical and her son...OMG...he's GORGEOUS.

BTW, what's John in Russian?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Mom- I figure it's kind of a wash, since the younger brother arranged the hunting accident.

The YB wasn't going to inherit much, and since he was more interested in chasing the family serving-women down and harrassing them than actually learning what it took to run the family estates...

He wasn't a nice man. I'm not sure if his mother is still alive or not. I know my character's mother isn't.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Tim- It's 7th Sea. :-)

You can get a lot of the books on drivethrurpg.com.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ivan Atkinovich, I hope that your zhena doesn't have the Power of Prophecy.

As for gaming characters ... right now, there's a lot of them in town for a huge convention ("Comic-con" or somesuch). I went there two years ago, listened to Bradbury being Not Amused about Michael Moore bowdlerizing the title of one of his books, and saw some folks playing Klingons on stage. Very dorky indeed.
I may drive by to see some nerds in silly disguises (I'll disguise as Ordinary Person).

Certain obligatory narrative conventions in gaming are obvious even to the uninitiated, because they can already be found in Grim Fairy Tales.

The best known narrative convention, in fact, is that the mother-in-law is always evil. So that goes without saying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home