Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

12 July 2006

Well, well, well....

This is interesting...

Liberal Christianity is paying for its sins.


I'll quote a few of the things that John and I found interesting.

"Embraced by the leadership of all the mainline Protestant denominations, as well as large segments of American Catholicism, liberal Christianity has been hailed by its boosters for 40 years as the future of the Christian church."

I've heard this, over and over again. No one wants to be part of some stodgy church that isn't hip or whatever the newest bit of wisdom is.

"It is not entirely coincidental that at about the same time that Episcopalians, at their general convention in Columbus, Ohio, were thumbing their noses at a directive from the worldwide Anglican Communion that they "repent" of confirming the openly gay Bishop V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire three years ago, the Presbyterian Church USA, at its general assembly in Birmingham, Ala., was turning itself into the laughingstock of the blogosphere by tacitly approving alternative designations for the supposedly sexist Christian Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Among the suggested names were "Mother, Child and Womb" and "Rock, Redeemer and Friend." Moved by the spirit of the Presbyterian revisionists, Beliefnet blogger Rod Dreher held a "Name That Trinity" contest. Entries included "Rock, Scissors and Paper" and "Larry, Curly and Moe."

In fact, I think the Presbyterians have given us a whole new set of things to giggle over.

"When your religion says "whatever" on doctrinal matters, regards Jesus as just another wise teacher, refuses on principle to evangelize and lets you do pretty much what you want, it's a short step to deciding that one of the things you don't want to do is get up on Sunday morning and go to church."

Boy, you ain't just whistling Dixie.

"So this is the liberal Christianity that was supposed to be the Christianity of the future: disarray, schism, rapidly falling numbers of adherents, a collapse of Christology and national meetings that rival those of the Modern Language Assn. for their potential for cheap laughs. And they keep telling the Catholic Church that it had better get with the liberal program — ordain women, bless gay unions and so forth — or die. Sure."

I've mentioned it before, and I'll say it again. There are some things I don't agree with the Orthodox Church on, but I still won't leave. I expect my faith to be comforting, but not comfortable.

7 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've mentioned it before, and I'll say it again. There are some things I don't agree with the Orthodox Church on, but I still won't leave. I expect my faith to be comforting, but not comfortable.

*******************************

that's a good deal of it right there. religion should be a comfort and not a chore, make you think and want to learn more about what you're being taught. I'm glad yours fills you. :)

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 Corinthians 14:34, ma'am.

Thou hast other duties ... but further deportment sayeth not.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say hi to ryan for me, okay Jen?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Josh,

Said. :-D

He's on the couch watching "Firefly" at the moment.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks:)

Um....question...>_> How did he get food poisoning???

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

I so totally wish I knew. I think I ended up with the same thing, since I was sick as a dog this morning with stomach cramps. I only threw up once, and that didn't affect me nearly as badly as it did him.

We had to leave the hospital, but when we did, he was comfortable and stable, and they were trying to make sure that they were taking the best care of him they could.

So, let everyone know that he's doing much better and he appreciated the text messages.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Curmudgeon said...

"It is not entirely coincidental that at about the same time that Episcopalians, at their general convention in Columbus, Ohio, were thumbing their noses at a directive from the worldwide Anglican Communion that they "repent" of confirming the openly gay Bishop V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire three years ago, …"

I'll note that VR Gene Robinson was the choice of the Episcocpal Diocese of New Hampshire for their Bishop. His consecration as Bishop reflected the conviction of many of those at the previous meeting that it was the business of New Hampshire, although many disapproved of his lifestyle.

ECUSA has suffered multiple schisms, mostly over the revison(s) of the Book of Common Prayer. It will survive this. It will also hurt the Church a lot.

I'll also note that whilst much of the Anglican Communion disapproves of ECUSA's policies, they still cash the cheques we send. IMO, they're rather like a snooty waiter, who sneers at his patrons but wants a tip.

Like Jen, I don't expect my church to be comfortable, but comforting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home