Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

24 June 2006

Sewing on a Saturday night!

It is teh done! It's not the best job hemming, but I've never hemmed anything this scalloped before, so I think that in the next one, I'll be doing a rolled hem on my mother's serger before actually putting the panels together. It may not work as well as I want it to, but I would rather poke my eyes out with a fork than try and roll that hem by hand again.

Although this picture probably makes very little sense to most of you, that's the scrap-catcher on the serger. Basically, because the serger cuts and binds the seam in one step, you often have pieces of fabric that get cut off, and they'll end up on the floor if you don't have a bag, and that can be a pain the butt.

My last bag was the same blue polyester/whatever the heck it was that came with the serger (about 15 years ago) and had developed many rips. Those rips had been rather hastily mended using clear packing tape about three years ago. I figured that since I had some time and some spare fabric that I'd have a go at making a replacement bag. I'm rather pleased with the result.

You can see a bit of the Sewing Palace behind the serger, although I really really need to take some good pictures when Iv'e got the place all spif for John's leave.

A bit further away from the skirt. The striped fabric that you see hanging next to it is the next skirt. I have that one, a khaki linen and a heavy black fabric that I'll use for church, mostly. That one's going to have the most flare and drape, but I had best not fall in a river wearing it.

5 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the skirt looks REALLY good!

I've never fooled with a serger before but they're pretty neat. I'm still sitting here mouth a-gape from the convo I had with mama. nearly got a new sewing machine for the anniversary, and she told me "oh dont get one, I'll give you mine."

her. machine.

the one they had to FINANCE. the one that does the fancy-fancy machine embroidery, and has floppy discs to keep up with all the different patterns. *thudddd*

mama loves me. its good to be the Princess. ;)

now, when she's gonna get her act together enough to SEND it is another matter, LOL!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The skirt looks great! Did you cuss as much hemming it as I did hemming my daughter's prom dress? Only thing worse than a tiny rolled hem is one done on sheer fabric. My rational self knew that no one was going to be on the floor checking how even my stiches were, but the rest of me...welllll...lol.
Thanks to the link to the pattern!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Kitten- Wow! Have fun with it. I know that I weill once I get mine.

Thanks for the compliment on the skirt, but I am going to roll the hem on the serger next time. If it ruffles out when the bias stretches, that's fine, but I about screamed toward the end of that hem. The people who invented fusible hem tape should be sainted.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Jaycie- I can't imagine hemming a prom dress. My mom made my senior prom dress and it was stunning.

And you're more than welcome for the pattern. If you have a serger, I'd try running a rolled hem on each panel before you stitch them together. If youo used a really tight sitch, and some fancy threat, it would look all froofy and stuff.

:-D

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jen...I had a skirt much like your pink one when I was in *mumbles* grade. seventy million years ago. ok, so it was 5th grade...ack, 32 years ago now! and yes, mama hand-hemmed part of it then handed it to me. yes, I am well acquainted with hand-hemming.

the only "be careful" on hemming *before* sewing panels together is that you MUST then sew from the bottom to the top...otherwise you risk having the hem not quite match up at the seams. yep, learned THAT one the hard way too.

I started sewing with the barbie clothes in first grade. I still have a bunch of custom barbie clothes, and my barbies LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home