Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

22 June 2006

Looky what I made!

This is the skirt I started tonight. I've got eight panels sewn together, and the waistband finished, but the instructions say to let the skirt hang for the two to three days, and then hem, I guess. I have no idea. The lighter panels are actually the backside of the fabric. I screwed up cutting one section and just ran with it.

Here's a detail of the bottom of the skirt. It's a bit hard to see, but the bottom hem is deeply scalloped by the way the pieces are cut. It's going to be a PITA to hem, but I think it's going to be lovely.

8 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It already IS lovely!

I bet it'll flow nicely.

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there IS a reason.

fabric will stretch a bit especially when on the bias, like your skirt. letting it hang lets the fabric relax and take shape, and so it wont do mean things to you when you go to hem it. its BEAUTIFUL by the way!

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply lovely.

Please... a picture of you wearing it...? With him? :-)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Bran,

Thank you. :-) I'm really happy with it. There are some things I'll do differently when I'm not just throwing it together for the sake of doing it, but I'm good with the way it looks now.

John mentioned doing it on black for a more formal skirt.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Kitten- Ah! I figured it had to be something like that, since this sucker is so bias cut that it's not funny, although it didn't stretch that much while I was serging it, thank God.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Nana- Trust me, there will be lots and lots of pictures. In fact, I'm determined to ask anyone and everyone to take pictures of us.

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind sharing the pattern number? I'm in CA, so I promise not to show up somehwere wearing the same skirt...lol.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

I'd be happy to. :-) It's from Atira's Fashions, and it's called Suzanna's Swirl Skirt. You can find the patters here: http://www.atirasfashions.com/pattern_page.html

One thing I'll note. They are serious when they say this patter, with eight panels, will fit a 40" upper hip. If you want it fuller, add two (or more) extra panels. I think the next one I make will have 10 or 12 panels, just for more *foof*.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home