Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

21 May 2006

Waiting...

To head to church with my Mom-In-Law. Evidently she was told she wasn't old enough to have a daughter-in-law, so we must prove otherwise. :-) I'm amused and willing to sit through a service if it makes her happy, so I'm made up and ready to go.

Went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore yesterday. It was great, but I wish that they had a better selection of postcards, especially of the more interesting animals, or ones that are hard to take pictures of underwater, like puffins and sharks. Oh, I do love me some sharks, though. Gorgeous, graceful, perfectly designed predators. Yeah, somehow I'm not sure I buy that biology managed that one without some help, but that's just me. YMMV, as always.

Watched the dolphin show, and while amusing, I like Sea World's shows better, at least from what I remember. They seem like so much fun, but like any intelligent animal, I would hesitate to just think that it's all fun and games when dealing with such incredibly smart creatures. We did get to see some footage of why it's a good idea NOT to feed Flipper when you're out on the ocean. Mainly because Flipper might end up deciding you look tasty. Not my idea of a good time, because it seems like those teeth would HURT.

Took a bit of a break to go to church with the In-Laws, and it was nice. Everyone was very sweet to me, and I was pleased to meet everyone. Although it's been a very, very long time since I've heard preaching like that, the pastor's message was good. It was a message about problems and the way God uses them to shape us, perfect us, and otherwise make us better.

I have to admit that's a unique way to look at life. Other religions, problems are because of something you do, because you're too attached, or because the gods are capricious. God may not make my life smooth, but I can always use my problems to be a better Christian, or to figure out a way to grow in faith. Yeah, I know, it may suck to have to weather these storms, but God never promised us smooth sailing, ever.

Mother Teresa once said that she knew God wouldn't give her anything she couldn't handle. Sometimes, she just wished He didn't trust her so much. I understand that feeling, lemme tell you!

I may not understand why God's allowing my husband and I to spend two-and-a-half years apart, but I do know that we've used this to deepen our relationship outside of the bedroom. After my Decurion gets home, we're SO working on the relationship in bed, but I digress.

Gah. I swear I ramble all over the map around here and have zero idea about what direction I'm going to go in until the wind blows. To quote Mal: "I got no rudder. Wind blows northerly, I go north. It's who I am." That's not always true, but in the whole journaling thing, it's the truth. I've enjoyed journaling online, and I have to admit that the feedback is part of what's kept me going many times, when I thought about just chucking the whole gig. I doubt that I'll actually dump the LJ, especially since it's paid for, but I may just lay low. The feedback is nice, but it's also a bit of a curse, since people, and lots of them, are happy to tell me exactly how fucked up I am, or what a bigot or whatever.

Okay, after a very late night, and a fairly early morning, I'm going to go take a nap. I'm hoping to head out for a drink or something with the Dragon-In-Law (brother-in-law). The DIL is a pretty awesome man, and I'd like to get to know him a bit better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home