Just A Camp Follower...

My husband, and my heart, is currently in the desert. I just got back.

24 May 2006

Potomac canals and more Great Falls State Park

What you see above is the all that remains of the canal supervisor's house. It took so long to construct that only one canal supervisor lived in it, and it fell into ruin after the canals were closed.

This is a section of the canal walls. All told, the locks along the Potomac raised or lowered vessels a grand total of 77 feet to bypass the most dangerous falls along the river. I would have loved to see that. George Washington dreamed of the Potomac opening up a new channel of commercial oportunities, allowing the settlers on the frontier to develop a closer relationship with the original colonies.

Watching Babylon 5 at the in-laws. It seems that I've committed a bit of a sci-fi faux pax in not seeing the series. It's been interesting and I'm enjoying it so far. From what I can tell, the producer must have been a gamer, since it seems to be a great role-playing campaign. Lots of intrigue, lots of plots, and no acting. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home